FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2008 Exclusive Death Star Playset thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mera_Bassil wrote:
dunno. Someone go try it. Granted, sshippings gonna cost a lot. And where are you gonna get the instructions. The dianoga probably gonna cost aroud 20$ You'll probably need 500-600 dollars

I actually have started reconstructing the Death Star. So far, it's only cost me $10.00. Right now I've completed the base of the first floor, and it's going pretty smoothly. I'll post pictures later.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, pictures and kind of part list would be great. Smile

FlickrBrickshelf
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badgerboy wrote:
I don't know if anyone else has seen or posted this announcement from eurobricks...

Steve has apparently made a statement somewhere (I can't find the original post that the quote came from) that basically says the £199 price was a mistake...
it also says that S@H are intending to honour the original price for those that ordered before that error was noticed.

I hope this is correct, but I see no reason to doubt the information.

Well thats good to here for the people who already pre-ordered it. Assuming this is all correct of course.

Flynn wrote:
Mera_Bassil wrote:
dunno. Someone go try it. Granted, sshippings gonna cost a lot. And where are you gonna get the instructions. The dianoga probably gonna cost aroud 20$ You'll probably need 500-600 dollars

I actually have started reconstructing the Death Star. So far, it's only cost me $10.00. Right now I've completed the base of the first floor, and it's going pretty smoothly. I'll post pictures later.

How did you manage to start without instructions? Just going by picture and guessing part?

DeviantART|Brickshelf
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DestructiveDelirium wrote:
How did you manage to start without instructions? Just going by picture and guessing part?

Yeah, it's suprising how easily it is to decipher parts from those extra-large Gizmodo pics. Also, keep in mind that I've only built the base of the first floor, I haven't started the walls or the interior yet.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, good luck with that. You should get pictures if you get a good chunk done.

I really hope they come out with the instructions soon. I am very interested just to look through them.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
speaknspell
LEGO Community Relations Coordinator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just in case anyone needs a confirmation:

- price increases were due to a mistake by S@H that was corrected to have the correct prices listed.
- C-3PO has the correct matching hands in this set.
- People who Pre-ordered at the lower price will have that price honored

I know its no fun when something like this happens, but its just the reality of the situation. Someone made a mistake and we're sorry if any of you had false hopes, but the prices are now correct and won't change from that (you know, before the end of the product life which who knows when that will be).

steve

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=airspreaded
http://www.flickr.com/photos/speaknspell/
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Steve.

If I lived in Europe, I would have wished I pre-ordered it so I would have gotten a discount Wink Razz

DeviantART|Brickshelf
darthtangent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the new R2 dome print. I wonder if they printed the backs as well.
Cheers!
speaknspell
LEGO Community Relations Coordinator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain any backs were printed, but I did just confirm that its a new vader torso, and a new emperor torso adn face (you probably knew that, but hey I like talking).

I've built it twice now and its certainly a neat set and there's a lot to it.

Steve

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=airspreaded
http://www.flickr.com/photos/speaknspell/
Greatdane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i was about to buy it until i noticed the price change, no way am i paying £275 for this, £199 yea but not £275. very dissapointed in lego tbh.. (flame all u want)
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaknspell wrote:
I'm not certain any backs were printed, but I did just confirm that its a new vader torso, and a new emperor torso adn face (you probably knew that, but hey I like talking).

I've built it twice now and its certainly a neat set and there's a lot to it.

Steve

Words can not describe the amount of jealousy flowing threw my veins currently. Mad

DeviantART|Brickshelf
etcknight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been debating this, and debating this. And for now, I'm gonna have to agree and go with:

Quote:
"Many want it, few can afford it."
Embarassed Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some get it for xmas. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaknspell wrote:
the prices are now correct

400 € without any sales opportunities in Europe, 268-280 € with taxes and sales possiblities in USA.

What is the correct price?

It's at some point where the Europeans who knows people in USA can trade some cheap Death Star (gain for Lego: 268-280 € for each DS) and less people buy DS in Europe (gain for Lego: nothing, not even 400 or 300 €).

So Lego just has to transport some European DS from factories to USA so they'll can be sold there (and some cheaper DS can get back to Europe).

The product is smart BUT the European service and marketing are somewhere ill.

For once we felt respected, this was a mistake. Crying or Very sad
alldarker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaia wrote:
...The product is smart BUT the European service and marketing are somewhere ill.

For once we felt respected, this was a mistake. Crying or Very sad

OK... This is getting stale now, time to deal with it. When I was a kid, sure there were a lot of toys I'd love to get (I'm looking at you, GI Joe USS Flagg!), but there was no way in the world I could afford them or even get them for Christmas. And the price difference between the US and Europe has been discussed more than enough too. Try to be happy with what you can get; it's no use being sour or jealous over what you can't get (now I'm looking at you, Porsche 911).

Back on topic, I think Flynn's attempt to build it is great! I also wonder how much of the DS you are able to figure out.
badgerboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received this in an e-mail:
Quote:
Dear Valued LEGO Customer:

We’d like to thank you for preordering the NEW 10188 Death Star™ – sure to be one of the most exciting LEGO® Star Wars™ sets this year!

Recently, we discovered that this product was featured on our website at an incorrect price in several countries. We have since corrected this error, but felt it was important to get a message out to all affected customers, immediately letting them know of our mistake. The correct retail price on this item is £274.99. However, since this product was listed at £199.99 at the time of your preorder, you will be charged at the £199.99 price point.

We apologize, in advance for any confusion this may have caused and should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at: www.legoshop.com or 00-800-5346-1111.

Thank you for your order!

Best Regards,

LEGO Direct

I guess anyone that pre-ordered can expect to find this little beauty in their inbox, keep your eye out for it!

I can't get into the pricing thing again, I think we have fairly definitive comment on that subject, but this does strike me as a little harsh on those fans who would have pre-ordered if given fair warning here first.

Having said that though, can we reasonably expect TLC to take what we must assume would have been a huge loss on such a product?
Yeah, I know, easy for me to say with my discount deathstar! (feel free to burn me for this)
woodnoggin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This debacle just shows you the incentive for pre-ordering: who knows when the price might go up if you don't! I'd better get my order in quick before they decide to add another £75...

But seriously, why would you pre-order? Better to keep the money in your account accruing interest and just buy the set when it's officially released. Is it really likely to sell out? It's a £275 set. To be honest, that's about what I expected it to cost, but it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth to have missed the bargain price.

Great set, though.
alldarker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badgerboy wrote:
I just received this in an e-mail:
Quote:
Dear Valued LEGO Customer:

We’d like to thank you for preordering the NEW 10188 Death Star™ – sure to be one of the most exciting LEGO® Star Wars™ sets this year!

Thank you for your order!

Best Regards,

LEGO Direct

I guess anyone that pre-ordered can expect to find this little beauty in their inbox, keep your eye out for it!

Yup, almost exactly the same (except for the pricing, which was in Euro's) e-mail dropped into my inbox a couple of minutes ago.

woodnoggin wrote:
But seriously, why would you pre-order? Better to keep the money in your account accruing interest and just buy the set when it's officially released. Is it really likely to sell out? It's a £275 set. To be honest, that's about what I expected it to cost, but it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth to have missed the bargain price.

Actually, you only get charged when the set gets shipped. So you keep your money in your account accruing interest until that time anyway... So that's not a valid argument.
Secondly, here in the Netherlands we don't have any official Lego stores, so S@H is the only place to get a lot of the exclusive sets. Even our (expensive) Toys 'R' Us stores sometimes don't carry the US TRU exclusive sets.
Thirdly, may I remind you of the lifespan of the Hoth Rebel Base set? Ordering a.s.a.p. is often the best way of ensuring you do get the (exclusive) sets at all!
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alldarker wrote:

Actually, you only get charged when the set gets shipped.

Ah, really?
I think I read several statements about be charged at once in this and in the Falcon thread.
This kept me from pre-ordering at once, because I had to wait till the previous credit card bill arrived, so that it would be charged on the next.
(Besides I contacted Lego customer service about this for having a 100% clear statement, but still wait for their answer)

FlickrBrickshelf
Flesh Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaia wrote:
It's at some point where the Europeans who knows people in USA can trade some cheap Death Star (gain for Lego: 268-280 € for each DS) and less people buy DS in Europe (gain for Lego: nothing, not even 400 or 300 €).

This may help Europe, by doing this the set will sell faster in USA, when supply is down here, a sale would be more likely in places with larger stock (I would expect they would wait at least two years probably 3 or more)
Gaia wrote:
So Lego just has to transport some European DS from factories to USA so they'll can be sold there (and some cheaper DS can get back to Europe).

I think I read that this will not happen, see above, they stock certain areas based on estimated sales in a country.
badgerboy wrote:
I can't get into the pricing thing again, I think we have fairly definitive comment on that subject, but this does strike me as a little harsh on those fans who would have pre-ordered if given fair warning here first.

Are you serious? What length of warning should we (I know I'm in the US) have received? What kind of pandemonium would have ensued? Even if they limited everyone to a maximum order of one unit, and said the first 50 or 100 orders from each country would be honored, would their website be able to handle the traffic?? People who would not have wanted one would have ordered with the idea of recouping most of the difference when it came out.
woodnoggin wrote:
This debacle just shows you the incentive for pre-ordering: who knows when the price might go up if you don't! I'd better get my order in quick before they decide to add another £75...

If you mean increase because of a mistake, OK, but this was not typical to other preorders, far from it.

That's a lot of quotes. And I can't find a sweaty exhausted smiley.
Flesh Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi wrote:
alldarker wrote:

Ah, really?
I think I read several statements about be charged at once in this and in the Falcon thread.
This kept me from pre-ordering at once, because I had to wait till the previous credit card bill arrived, so that it would be charged on the next.
(Besides I contacted Lego customer service about this for having a 100% clear statement, but still wait for their answer)

Sorry, I meant to add another quote, at least in all my experiences, (5 or 6?) Lego checked to see if funds would be available, then billed when it was shipped. It is at least SOP in the US to charge at the time of shipping.
alldarker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi wrote:
alldarker wrote:

Ah, really?

OK, Andi, I checked it out for you, just to be sure. To take your example, the UCS Millenium Falcon. I ordered it on the 11th of February, 2007. Shipment of the item was on 1st of October, 2007. And my creditcard was charged on 4th of October, 2007! So, I think that conclusively proves that charging takes place after shipment...

Actually, I don't know if you are able to pay by invoice in Germany, but these also usually get sent a few days after shipment of the order. Although lego will not accept payment by invoice for the more expensive orders, over a value of about €200,-.
Gaia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also checked that Lego only take the money only when the set is delivered.

What also sucks me about this nasty price increase is that I waited for a friend agreement to know wether I have to order one or two DS. Now it's zero... Sad

It's already hard to gather a decent collection at twice the US prices.

Anyway, it's not the first time I feel ready to stop collecting new items so it can change.

But stop arguing it's toys for children!!! Wink
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking and letting me know, alldarker. So, next time I now it for sure and can pre-order at once.

FlickrBrickshelf
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaia wrote:
But stop arguing it's toys for children!!! Wink

I think that's going to be this item's downfall. If serious collectors here are passing on it because of the price, what chance do kids have of getting it? Who has parents that are willing to drop $400 for a playset? I'm still planning on buying one, but I have a feeling this set will be put on sale fairly quickly and that will be the end of SW playsets. Even the US price is pretty steep for the average parent to spend on a toy. Given that this is an exclusive, it is not intended for mass retail, which incidentally could also add to its cost. It's an amazing set, but I think it would have been more successful if they broke it into two or more modular sets. I really hope it sells well despite the price, because it would open the door to Endor bunker, etc... sets.
darthtangent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point GIR. I really like this set, but I think that it could have been made as several sets that connect. I'm thinking of 8 sets with 3 or 4 minifigs each which combine to make a slightly larger Death Star. Or maybe just four sets with two builds each, you would still need to buy 8 sets to make the complete Death Star. Or you could have the alternate build being the Death Star I vs the Death Star II. (Then if you wanted both complete on display you would have to buy 16 sets!!!) I'm thinking they would cost $60-$75US each. The problem would be how would LEGO release such a monster? All at once, or two a year until the license finished? I would be epic, sort of LEGO Star Wars Town...
MosEisleyTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if this has been covered already but I love reading broad generalizations about how parents won't spend xx amount of money on a toy for their kids. We're talking about the same parents who will spend 4 times MSRP for a PS3 the day it comes out to make sure their kid gets one. There is always some toy each Christmas that is supposedly in short supply that people will pay 2-3 times+ its retail value to get for their kids. Parents will spend money on their kids. Obviously, LEGO isn't trying to sell as many Death Stars Playsets as 6211 Star Destroyers. This set may not even be aimed at kids at all. Many people on here wanted a set like this and here it is. If you think it is too much, don't buy it. Just because something is more expensive and harder to get doesn't mean it shouldn't be produced. You aren't required to own every set that comes out.

These sound like the same things people were complaining about when the UCS Falcon was released last year. The $500 set must be doing just fine if they are ready to sell another high dollar set.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:
Who has parents that are willing to drop $400 for a playset?

Don't say that. Otherwise, all the little 12-13 year olds on here who don't realise parents have to earn their money and pay bills and such will come and say there's christmas.

MosEisleyTC wrote:
We're talking about the same parents who will spend 4 times MSRP for a PS3 the day it comes out to make sure their kid gets one.

They are in there monority, but anyway - I think as there is only one type of PS3 upon release. There will be at least 30 other Star Wars LEGO sets available for parents to buy when this comes out and it is less likely for someone to pay £200+ for LEGO, whereas it is OK to pay that for a console.

Kids can ask for LEGO all they want, but parents aren't always going to say yes. That really enfuriates me when people assume that.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MosEisleyTC wrote:
I love reading broad generalizations about how parents won't spend xx amount of money on a toy for their kids. We're talking about the same parents who will spend 4 times MSRP for a PS3 the day it comes out to make sure their kid gets one. There is always some toy each Christmas that is supposedly in short supply that people will pay 2-3 times+ its retail value to get for their kids. Parents will spend money on their kids.

But this isn't a Tickle Me Elmo or PS3, or even Hannah Montana concert tickets. It's not the toy of the Christmas season that every kid must own. Even though parents will do a lot for their kids, this isn't and item that kids will say "Mommy Mommy I must have it or I will never speak to you again." I really don't see it like that because this thing is based off a 30-year-old movie.

MosEisleyTC wrote:
These sound like the same things people were complaining about when the UCS Falcon was released last year. The $500 set must be doing just fine if they are ready to sell another high dollar set.

Now this part I agree with. The same thing happens over and over. How many years have people here been complaining that we need a new RGS? Now how many of them are saying "$100+? I'll get it on clearance, maybe." The UCS falcon is in a slightly different context, however, because it is very popular among UCS builders. It is the ultimate SW LEGO set. the new Death Star set, on the other hand, is a playset, which changes a few things. I started a thread over on the SWAN forums, a place with adult Star Wars collectors, who focus on SW in general. I got a couple of repeating responses, namely:

1. Wow that's expensive!
2. No exterior shell? Lame.

So the general collecting fanboys won't be getting it. These are not avid LEGO fans like around here, but even some of the parents on this forum have said that even though they want this set for themselves, they don't know if they would spend this much on their kids, if they were to get an extra for the kids to play with. Please don't make me look back and find this quote, but I'm fairly sure I'm paraphrasing someone here. Given the myriad of other sets a parent can get for a kid that are probably as much
fun while being many times cheaper and the added bonus of portability, it seems like kids would get this as their only Christmas present, if at all.

Also, from what I've seen here and Eurobricks, it seems that (mainly European) LEGO fans, at least those dedicated enough to participate in an online forum dedicated to them, are passing on this set due to price, even to get one for themselves. It's a weird set in the sense that it is expensive but not designed for older fans like the UCS series is. It doesn't really fit into either category- too elaborate to be System yet too kid-oriented to be UCS. It's probably more of a balance between the two, but the fringe people can't seem to make up their minds.

So basically, I don't see where this set fits as far as fanbase in a broader sense. It's perfect for me, being in the transitional period between playing with my LEGOs and displaying them (I admit to both) while having a job on the side to pay for it, so I'll be buying one.

PS- I'm still a bit undecided on the issue so I apologize if I contradict myself anywhere.
wehalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:
Given the myriad of other sets a parent can get for a kid that are probably as much fun while being many times cheaper and the added bonus of portability, it seems like kids would get this as their only Christmas present, if at all.

Not that I disagree with you, but, I am a parent and this will not be the only set my son gets this Christmas. Usually parent's try and stock pile (read hide) away Christmas presents early so things are a bit eaiser at crunch time. Of course I could be the minority. Yes, we will probably get 2 sets this year, but owning to the playability, my son will probably get his first.

I doubt seriously that Lego will have a problem moving this set at the current price point. I also believe that Lego would adjust how they release a "play set" rather than creating a limitation for themselves by excluding this type of set totally.

Just my 2c.

..ooOO(- Wehalk -)OOoo..
Get Funky
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 19 of 28
Jump to: