FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your opinion of the rubber minifig heads?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zombie Typo
Undead!

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepatient wrote:

The phrase, “This is industry’s delicate way of weeding out the stupid,” comes to mind.

Fixed. Razz

Captain Ausome wrote:
I dont really care about the texture i am just dissapointed with the kit fist head because it looks like a megablock piece.

I know this is sacrilege/treason, but please don't burn me at the stake. Well, not yet. Wink But anyway, I sometimes wonder about Lego. I mean, I am as delighted as anyone about the new state-of-the-art pieces we're getting (from TLC), but on the flip side, I notice that legos are seeming a little more like Mega Bloks. I don't mean in terms of quality, as we all know that we don't spend half an hour trying to put 2 lego pieces together as we do with Mega Bloks. I mean in terms of parts. I mean, look at the (unfortunately) short-lived Lego Spider-Man line, and then look at the Mega Bloks line. Lego stayed with their own stuff, (e.g, using a classic Minifig head and printing Spidey's mask on it,) while Mega Bloks made new molds to accomodate a specific character. And MB made new molds for practically everything! Mad They have entire wall pieces, which completely takes away the fun of building something brick by brick. Now, look at the new pieces we're getting. For example, the new laptop piece for the Agents line. When I saw it, it just screamed "Mega Bloks!" to me, because before, we would make our own laptops with a couple tile pieces and a hinge. Now, we're getting a laptop piece, thus eliminating the need to build laptops. Now, I'm not saying the laptop piece is bad, I like it. I'm just saying it's sort of taking away the building experience for me a bit. Now, the semi-new Kit Fisto mold. Granted, as other members have pointed out, ABS lekkus might snap on us, and... I don't even have to go into how a rubber headpiece would aggravate some. Just look at the Exo-Force hair, and how warmly it's been welcomed by members here. But I still think TLC could've made a Kit Fisto Minifig head, and maybe small lekkus for the headpiece, kind of like the Kit Fisto from the LSW video game. Okay, that's all I have to say. I'll bet $10 that 50% of the members that saw this rant skipped it... Laughing

Proud member of the AFEC

Last edited by Zombie Typo on Thu May 08, 2008 9:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junsier wrote:

Yoda's head was actually great; I could hardly tell it was even rubber, other than the ears. It was pretty much a regular head, the quality of that head felt really good...

Some people really enjoy their LEGO a little too much.

After reading that post I decided to “feel up” Yoda and Kit Fisto. Kit is definitely much squishier. I never even realized that Yoda was a different kind of plastic. It’s true the ears give him away. There has to be two different mixtures going into these heads. Maybe it’s because Kit was printed and Yoda wasn’t.
The Department of Redundancy Department
Captain Ausome

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want you to know typo that your not alone! Very Happy And yes i did read your whole thing.
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepatient wrote:
Junsier wrote:

Yoda's head was actually great; I could hardly tell it was even rubber, other than the ears. It was pretty much a regular head, the quality of that head felt really good...oh baby...mmhmm...Yoda head...

Some people really enjoy their LEGO a little too much.

Oh yeaah. I mean, fleshie slave Leia is good, but nothing beats the feel of that rubbery goodness of Yoda's skin against yours.

Quote:
After reading that post I decided to “feel up” Yoda and Kit Fisto. Kit is definitely much squishier. I never even realized that Yoda was a different kind of plastic. It’s true the ears give him away. There has to be two different mixtures going into these heads. Maybe it’s because Kit was printed and Yoda wasn’t.

Aha, no one is immune to the seductive powers of rubbery Lego! Wink

Yeah, like I said the Yoda head was almost like any ABS hard plastic head, but the Fisto and newer Exo Force hair are squishy, rubbery, and easy to bend like M19 said. I'm all for hard, ABS molds, but they cheaper ones do save TLG money.
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I just want a rubber Slave Leia. I wonder how squishy that would be.

I’m so glad you had a sense of humor on that. A lesser person would have been offended.
The Department of Redundancy Department
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepatient wrote:
A lesser person would have been offended.

Nothin' wrong with having illicit affairs with Lego minifigures. A Slave Leia though...that kicks it up a notch.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever TLC feels is the need to compete and make itself successful is A-Okay as far as I am concerned. Lets be honest, we all hear the same thing every time someone comes out of their dark ages and complains that the relatively new pieces of recent times are a 'crime' going against the religion of basic blocks. I was not a fan of the alternate Belville series, but it still brings out some awesome parts that can be used in MOCS, thus I never really complain about a part that is somehow different, it just challenges your imagination to wonder what you can use it for.

Fully Brick Models Ebay

Fully Brick Models Bricklink
General Veers

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junsier wrote:

Aha, no one is immune to the seductive powers of rubbery Lego! Wink

Except me, seeing as I have none.
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
Reaper

Location: Dwelling in the darkness making goofy faces at everyone.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the only way we're going to get certain minifigures, then fine I'll accept them. Otherwise I'd prefer the ABS heads.

"You are fortunate, my enemy. You have paid the price but once. I never stop paying."-Cursed Ronin. MTG
speaknspell
LEGO Community Relations Coordinator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi friends. Good discussion and a lot of fair points. One thing that you haven't taken into consideration though is, in fact the actual reason some heads are made this way.

the idea of Jar Jars head being ABS vs yoda, dobby, Kit, Plo Koon etc came up and its a valid question. you have to look at the difference between the first and all those after to get it.

The difference lies in smooth edges vs pointy edges. Jar Jar has a rounded nose and ears as these are the parts that stick out the most. Yoda has pointy ears as does Dobby. Kit Fisto has pointy tentacles that almost become spikes, and plo Koons Mask works its way to a point at the front (albeit a forked point).

The safety question comes into play on a couple of fronts here. First the obvious, poke in the eye, is much better when you have rubber instead of rigid ABS.

Second, there is a choking hazard with these heads and them having a softer consistancy allows them to flex down the throat. The other thing that may be the main safety related reason for keeping these heads softer is that once you had swallowed a rigid, ABS, spiky head, it would still have to make its way through your entire body and then make its way...out.

Remember spiky rigidness...then think...well you get the picture.

Thats the real reason, since you asked Smile

Steve

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=airspreaded
http://www.flickr.com/photos/speaknspell/
Scitvs
Praetor Nerdivs

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Steve. It is still a little strange though, since those figures come in sets that recommended for older users, that digestive issues are still a consideration.

But good to know the LEGO isn't just cheapening out of good quality molds.

><>
infallible

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I came into this thread to say the following:

Don't discount the vast amounts of government regulation that exists for toys, not only in the US, but even harsher in Europe. As we've seen recently with the magnetic blocks and minifigs, the heavy hand of government may be playing a role here. In the same vein, it could also be fear of a lawsuit if a stupid kid swallows it.

Well, I came to say it, only to have Speaknspell Steve say the real reason before hand. Though his safety resoning is not incompatible with the large amount of regulation.
Zombie Jones
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaknspell wrote:

Remember spiky rigidness...then think...well you get the picture.

Thats the real reason, since you asked Smile

Steve

Mmm...perforated duodenum.... Very Happy

Slightly on topic - I am ok with rubber heads, provided that they fit well onto the neck posts.
CloneZomberor
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scitvs wrote:
those figures come in sets that recommended for older users, that digestive issues are still a consideration.

Speaking as a parent with very young children, Believe me when I say that the recommended age has very little to do with it. Whether or not the box says 3+ or 14+, there is still a possibility that a young child would get their hands on the piece. And as any parent will attest, what a young child can hold will almost always end up in said child's mouth.

(ΞΞΞΞΞ)><@><||(=======================================
Scitvs
Praetor Nerdivs

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloneEmperor wrote:
Speaking as a parent with very young children, Believe me when I say that the recommended age has very little to do with it. Whether or not the box says 3+ or 14+, there is still a possibility that a young child would get their hands on the piece. And as any parent will attest, what a young child can hold will almost always end up in said child's mouth.

Haha. Point taken. Thanks for the info.

><>
speaknspell
LEGO Community Relations Coordinator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in addition to what infallible & CloneEmperor said, just recall that the whole magnet stink that got Mega sued was over a toy that was marked 13+ but was injested (and subsequently killed) a much younger child.

It sucks I know, because sometimes it may seem like over compensating, but some reputations are hard to overcome. We're just being careful.

Steve

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=airspreaded
http://www.flickr.com/photos/speaknspell/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: