FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voting on 2009 ToysRUs Set
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

10th Anniversary Fans' Choice Set
The Arrest of Palpatine
29%
 29%  [ 49 ]
Slave I and Cloud City Landing Platform
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Mon Calamari Cruiser Set
52%
 52%  [ 89 ]
None of these
13%
 13%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 168

ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it Rex, you're the one that just admitted to stacking the votes. Rolling Eyes

Edit: that goes for everyone else as well, not just him. Enough.
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJudeAbides wrote:

I, myself, in conjunction with me, do, quite forthrightly, and with much due concern, question your complicated, esoteric, and wholly ridiculous use of commas, such as they are, with all due respect and gratitude, indubitably. Very Happy

You sound just like my boss... Razz

Steve, who thinks commas are free, so why not use them...
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not sure if Steve's comma usage is 100% grammatically correct, I can assure you that yours isn't Jude. Don't post trash like that just to be a jerk (that's my job). But still, Steve could have just as easily ignored it and it wouldn't have mattered. So, in conclusion, lay off. The lot of you.

[rhetorical] What's with you all, is it "stick up your bum day" or something? [/rhetorical] Confused
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:

[rhetorical] What's with you all, is it "stick up your bum day" or something? [/rhetorical] Confused

Thumbs up Don! Wink

Back on topic...
OK, I just actually read the descriptions of the sets over on the TRU vote site. I wanted to vote for #4 (none of the above) over there. These choices are very poor! Very very poor! Shame on them!
I guess the Home One set would be similar to the Hoth Base we got this past December. Maybe they tossed it in simply based on the popularity of the Hoth set? Who knows... But one thing I can say is that it doesn't sound good at all. Just another excuse to use the same molds over again and throw in one new figure.

The Palpatine set did sound pretty good for getting some new Jedi figures, but it would be so very weak as a set. I would imagine it to be about as good as the Ultimate Lightsaber Duel set 7257. Rolling Eyes

So maybe this would just be a great year to skip the TRU exclusive set and finally not worry about having to find it on E-bay later.

2 cents at ya!
Undead!

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you, Darth. But I figured, "This is all they've offered, so why not make the most of it?" Because even if everyone who voted on that site said "none of the above", then all TRU would do is put all of the options in a hat, shake them around, and then pick one. Confused

Proud member of the AFEC
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain REX wrote:
We get 3 new minifigs (saesse tinn,agen kolar and palpy!)

Again, who says that Palpatine will be a new figure? He could just be the Emperor without a hood.
KitFisto007

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we know everyone and their uncle is stacking the votes anyways? I voted for the arrest of palpatine, but the Mon Cal cruiser should win by disqualification. Or you could can the poll completely.
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flynn wrote:
captain REX wrote:
We get 3 new minifigs (saesse tinn,agen kolar and palpy!)

Again, who says that Palpatine will be a new figure? He could just be the Emperor without a hood.

I'd guess it would be a new figure, with a flesh head and new torso. It would be neat to get a dual face feature where the head could be turned around for either pre-or post-electrocution scene.
Zombie Typo
Undead!

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:
I'd guess it would be a new figure, with a flesh head and new torso. It would be neat to get a dual face feature where the head could be turned around for either pre-or post-electrocution scene.

That's what I was thinking.
I wrote:
Maybe Palpatine would have one of those swivel heads, one side with his Ian McDiarmid after 2 hours of makeup face, and the other side with his Ian McDiarmid after 5 hours of makeup face.

Great minds think alike, I guess. But if that is, in fact, the case, then how did I think of it? Laughing

Proud member of the AFEC
zombie REX
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clonecommando007 wrote:
Errr...

Rex I think this might be a good time to make use of the PM feature.
woops! Shocked my mistake

" Let me show you how it works clanker!"

Captain REX of the 501st
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, check out who got a nod to FBTB in Wired's geekdad Blog again... Wink (I knew about that since last Thursday but forgot to mention it when it got posted over the weekend)
speaknspell
LEGO Community Relations Coordinator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another point of clarification is that these sets will all be designed to a similar price point ($100 is the current thinking for the products).

so when you're looking at the idea remember that they would want to make a fairly substantial set out of it.

steve

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=airspreaded
http://www.flickr.com/photos/speaknspell/
xwingyoda

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaknspell wrote:
another point of clarification is that these sets will all be designed to a similar price point ($100 is the current thinking for the products).

Tks for the heads up Steve Wink

So choices 2 & 3 are easy to achieve that ball park IMO.

Now it leaves Palpie's arrest. The only way I can picture that set beeing at that price would be to include Anie's ship and a major office with glass windows. Its forseeable to think of the 3 jedis that come and arrest Palpie, Palpie, Emperor, Mace & Anie. 2 Senate guards would totally rock as well !!

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
WookieWarrior9

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That throws the "desk and chair" argument out the window for the anti-Palpy arrest crowd. Wink

The Coruscant office in the $100 range would look absolutely awesome.

endcreepyminifigfaces.blogspot.com
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see how the Palpy's arrest idea can be suitably fleshed out...

OK, so say we'll have:

Palpy (with reversible head, for argument's sake)
The 4 arresting Jedi
One office diorama, with desk, computer terminal and chairs.

That really isn't much. So we could expand it with:

One window area, with some kind of glass-breaking mechanism
Anakin, to play the role of existential angst poster boy
Anakin's little speeder thingy.

That still seems really bare to me. There's too man pivotal figures for this scene. I guess that the interior could be really big, but still... What else could be added?
WookieWarrior9

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The room Palpatine was in with the computers, landing platform for Anakin's airspeeder, and his office (which is pretty big) might be what they'd do.

onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new minifig head molds would drive the manufacturing cost up, so realizing th 100$ price point wouldn't be too hard. there could be other play features in addition to a cool looking office:

- spring loaded floor to eject mace through the window.
- shattering window feature
- mini ship models for the background traffic
- motorized spinning palpy
- sound effects
- motion activated door
- high heat baking action to cook palpy
- and last but not least, tesla coil for electricity duel between mace and palpy.

shoot, if all that was included, i'd change my vote in a heartbeat.
davee123

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaknspell wrote:
these sets will all be designed to a similar price point ($100 is the current thinking for the products).

Well, I'm not sure, but I think the best way to bring up the price point of Palpatine's Arrest would be to add an Admiral Ackbar and some other Mon Cal figs.

DaveE
infallible

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote went to Palpatine's Arrest. I loved the design of his office, and it sounds like it would be a lot of fun. At the $100 point, it would be more like Cloud City in size rather than a large Jedi Defense. I'm thinking it would include more than just the 4 Jedi and Palps. They could do the main office, his inner office (where Yoda meets him) and even extend out with a little Senate area if they throw a Yoda into the mix. But all in all, it sounds like a cool set.
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaknspell wrote:

so when you're looking at the idea remember that they would want to make a fairly substantial set out of it.

That's good to know. I still think the Slave I is a bad idea. Half the set costs would be used to remake that ship for the 4th time (5th, if you count the mini-model).

Same story with the A-Wing, but then only 1/5 of the set would be wasted on another remake.

My vote is still for Palpatine.

Quote:
We get 3 new minifigs (saesse tinn,agen kolar and palpy!

I wouldn't be surprised if they left out at least one of the Jedi. You'd need Mace, Palpatine and Anakin. They could cheap out and only give one Jedi.

Steve
Tyrant

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athos wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they left out at least one of the Jedi. You'd need Mace, Palpatine and Anakin. They could cheap out and only give one Jedi.
Steve

I know everyone seems to want to be cynical about this set possibility, but it would kind of be misleading to mention them all by name and show the specific scene with the whole lot of them to explain what the set will center around if they don't put them all in there. We could just as easily assume Home One doesn't come with Ackbar as it doesn't specifically say that it does, but that would be absurd as it is obvious we are supposed to believe he does come with the set. We may as well speculate on if Palpatine will be in the set depicting his arrest or not. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but some assumptions being made here are odd to say the least.
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I think a Slave I + Cloud City would be pretty awesome, too. If they got it right for a hundred bucks, that would be sweet. ESB is my favorite movie, so I guess if they don't make that diorama, I will. With another Slave I version, of course.

But I'm still backing on the Mon Cal cruiser. At a 100 dollar price point, I'm not sure what to expect in the Palp office. If it's a really good parts package, I think it would be neat, because you could probably sell the figs on BrickLink shortly after and break half even, with a ton of parts.
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how cool Slave I and the like would be, it's still a rehash of something we haven't seen, so I'd lean against it. Beyond that... I can't see a whole lot changing with it, since there was very little there in comparison to the others.

A Mon Cal Cruiser Playset at $100 would be sweet, but I forsee a lot of the same problems the ISD had. It would never be close to scale, and given the design of the thing, it'd probably redesign the word "flimsy."

The arrest, on the same token, gives all sorts of opportunities, but would look a lot like Cloud City. There's the chance to make it multi-faceted, and put the little gallery where Anakin learns of Pappy's true nature, the office for the arrest, and so many others. Really, only one new minifig mold is needed, for tin. Kit is still in production and Windu has been out, and Kolar can be done as a printing (though would probably need a new hari piece. Anakin is obviously out there, and even though he was nowhere near, an Obi-Wan would be nifty (as would a Padme).

Palpatine would just need a bit of tweaking/printing... the best design would be a simple grey headpiece (like Tarkin) and a "two-face" design... one younger and one the more traditional "scarred" look. Sabers are normal stuff, and the lightning is easily done with that new lightning piece introduced with castle. Anakin can almost be done te same way, with innocent face and evil yellow-eye face.
xwingyoda

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
A Mon Cal Cruiser Playset at $100 would be sweet, but I forsee a lot of the same problems the ISD had. It would never be close to scale, and given the design of the thing, it'd probably redesign the word "flimsy."

From my understanding that set is suppose just to be like a control room and a ship which is too bad IMO. If the ship was too be made I would agree with you on the filmsy part but I really think the ISD looks great as a display model. So I wouldn't mind ot beeing over the top in term of filmsyness.

dWhisper wrote:
Palpatine would just need a bit of tweaking/printing... the best design would be a simple grey headpiece (like Tarkin) and a "two-face" design... one younger and one the more traditional "scarred" look. Sabers are normal stuff, and the lightning is easily done with that new lightning piece introduced with castle. Anakin can almost be done te same way, with innocent face and evil yellow-eye face.

That would make the perfect fig I totally agree. Viewing Asajj in the upcomming CW kits, there is a chance of having a palpie fabric coat. That would really make the best PT fig ever IMO Wink

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
Crusader

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an overall sales viewpoint, I'd wager that the Slave 1 set would sell the best. 2006 will be ancient history for the key Lego demographic by next year. Many of the kids who will be building $100 sets with Legos in 2009 were too small for $50 sets in 2006.

And most little kids would rather have two Fetts to play with anyway, than one giant lobster man. Little kids are just drawn to the Fett. I mean no respect for the big crustacean by the way--my wife pointed out just the other night that he pulls off one of the best acting performances in ROTJ by far. No easy feat considering his limited costume. You really feel for the guy as he slumps in his chair watching Vader's ship crash into the Death Star. However love for Ackbar is an acquired taste. When ROTJ came out in 83', his Kenner figure was a peg warmer. As an adult, I'd love a Lego Ackbar, but to be honest I'm sure my boys could take or leave him.

The Home One set could be quite cool, but it is not nearly so classic as a Hoth base. Little kids recognize Hoth instantly, but few think twice about the big Rebel cruisers. They have far too little screen time, and are never shown doing much. They are seen in the Battle of Endor, but I can't recall seeing them do much other than blow up.

And the duel in Palp's office would be a great figures pack in the $20-50 range, but it will be an overpriced dullsville at $100. The $25 worth of figures would still be great, but the $75 scenery won't sell all that well.

Especially since I already have the 2006 Slave One, my personal choice would be Ackbar. But if Lego opts to make money over keeping us older fans (read losers) happy. Then they'll make another Slave One. Besides as even a casual scanning of this forum will tell you--nothing Lego can do will make us happy!*

*Short of the soon to be released Ackbar, Padme, Tauntaun, Endor Trooper battlepack. Preorder now!
WookieWarrior9

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they have to worry too much about sales. TRU sets sell out within a few weeks and the price doubles almost instantly.

Gooker1

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arrest of Palpatine set would kick patootie if the main desk transformed and the ceiling opened up to show the huge council arena where Palp and Yoda went at it
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see the potential Mon Cal set leading the way...having the breifing room scene before the Battle of Endor in LEGO form has been sort of a pipe-dream of mine...I"m hoping they throw in an interesting Rebel pilot along with Ackbar and one of his subordinate Mon Cal officers (ya know...to maximize the use of the new mold that will be required).
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WookieWarrior9 wrote:
I don't think they have to worry too much about sales. TRU sets sell out within a few weeks and the price doubles almost instantly.

Ah, nothing like baseless generalizations. In truth, they languish on shelves for months while collectors complain that it's $5 above SRP. Then once they start to dwindle, they empty, and the same people complain that they're sold out and were robbed.

Every TRU I've been in still carries the Republic Cruiser, another TRU "exclusive" in the exact same price range. Beyond that, it's a niche product that will sell to collectors, the typical audience for that kind of thing. So long as there is some playability, it'll do fine. With Palpy's arrest, you can add Anakin's speeder or a Jedi Starfighter, a shuttle, or something of the sort.
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xwingyoda wrote:
dWhisper wrote:

From my understanding that set is suppose just to be like a control room and a ship which is too bad IMO. If the ship was too be made I would agree with you on the filmsy part but I really think the ISD looks great as a display model. So I wouldn't mind it being over the top in term of filmsyness.

Personally, I would like to see the main persentation room with a DS II hologram. Stick Mon Mothma in to satisfy the female fig quota for the next 2 years. Razz

Also, give us the bridge and a couple of fancy chairs. Also, here's a good time to throw in General Crix Madine. Obi's Clone Wars hairpiece could be used here, or Mutt's would do, recoloured. Then we can have ol' Madine piloting the Home one, just like in the cutscene!

I can't say I'm desperate for another A-Wing though, the latest one only came out 2 years back...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: