FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rules For Posting & Commenting On Set Reviews

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Rules For Posting & Commenting On Set Reviews Reply with quote

Please read this entire post and any addendum made to it before you participate in this forum.

All right, guys and dolls, ask and ye shall receive. Welcome to the Set Reviews Forum!

First thing's first: You CAN post a review for any LEGO set. This forum will not just be for LEGO Star Wars sets. And just so we're clear, so help me, the first person to post a review for a LEGO pen, salt shaker, keyring, or magnet is going to get a UCS Max Rebo to the face. In other words, review "real" sets, please.

Now, that being said, I'm sure you're wondering whether or not you can reply to said reviews. Of course you can, silly! You are more than welcome to offer your own input on any set that gets reviewed in here, as long as you keep it nice and civil. Heck, if you'd like to make up your own review for a set that's already been reviewed by someone else, you're even welcome to do that. The catch, however, is that we ask that you post your review in the same thread as the first person to review that particular set. So, for example, if Austin posted a review for the Pod Race Bucket (...why?), and you'd like to post your own review of the Pod Race Bucket as well (again, why?), you are more than welcome to do so, as long as you post your review in Austin's thread. Got it?

Okay, now that we've got all that out of the way, here's your official template that you MUST use to post a review. Copy and paste everything in the Code field into your post, replace the stuff in parentheses with your own review, then give the set a rating from 1 to 10 in each category provided.

Code:
(Type your review here.  Include what you like, what you don't like, how easy or hard it was to put together... anything that you think would be considered helpful to people looking for assistance in deciding whether or not to get the set you're reviewing!)

[b]Ratings (on a scale of 1 to 10):[/b]

[b]Parts:[/b] /10
[b]Minifigs:[/b] /10
[b]Detail:[/b] /10
[b]Playability:[/b] /10
[b]Price to parts:[/b] /10
[b]Availability:[/b] /10
[b]OVERALL RATING:[/b] /10

Is everyone clear as mud on how this will go? This was a great idea that was suggested by Draykov and expanded upon by others, so I hope that this will be the beginning of a great addition to our community. Have fun, folks!

EDIT 08/10/07: Just wanted to mention that I've gone back ten pages in the LEGO and LEGO Star Wars forums, and moved any reviews that I could find. They're gonna be grandfathered in, so we won't worry about them not fitting the template that any new reviews need to use. So, to reiterate, any new reviews posted in here need to utilize the template. Thanks!

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, thanks Collin and everyone else running this little shindig. Your efforts are appreciated.

I do have one question: should the overall rating be an average of the other ratings or should it be a gut feeling on how the whole set comes together as a whole?
imperialshadows

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
I do have one question: should the overall rating be an average of the other ratings or should it be a gut feeling on how the whole set comes together as a whole?

While it's purely my own opinion, I'd say that the overall rating is as much a product of 'gut feeling' as sheer mathematics. Sometimes a set truly is more than the sum of its parts.

Anyway, if the final score had to be calculated based on the various factors, who would come along and make sure they were added up correctly? It'd end up breeding a whole new level of unnecessary posts saying, "but that doesn't add up!" Then someone would get upset and pm Collin, and he'd have to wa-bam 'em.

While that's entertaining it leads to thread derailing, and that is the way of the dark side.

Dark and Menacing

Please check out my Brickshelf Gallery. It is your DESTINY.
keds

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose that the titles also have a specific format to make finding a particular review easier and reduce the number of threads per set.

Format would be: set number / set name / "review"
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second'd

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keds wrote:
I propose that the [thread] titles also have a specific format to make finding a particular review easier and reduce the number of threads per set.

I'm down with that...
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rules For Posting & Commenting On Set Reviews Reply with quote

Cello Collin wrote:

EDIT 08/10/07: Just wanted to mention that I've gone back ten pages in the LEGO and LEGO Star Wars forums, and moved any reviews that I could find.

I noticed a couple were missing, so I found a few more using the search:

http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=17536

http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=17224

http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=17473

http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=17283

http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=15837

Yup, a shameless plug for 2 of my reviews, but the others are pretty good too (like the UCS Tie by Dunamis).
Could you please move these when you get a chance Collin? (Thanks!)

Hope this helps!

PS>
keds wrote:
I propose that the titles also have a specific format to make finding a particular review easier and reduce the number of threads per set.

I Dis-agree. Just for the point of obfuscation and rebelling against The Man, I think we should format it like:
"Review of set number - Set Name". Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have my only slight disagreement with the format.

Availability. It unfairly skews results on old sets being reviewed now. If the RGS had never been reviewed and someone went to do it now, they'd either say that the price was too high or the availability too low (or both), which isn't really fair to the original product, which was too expensive and hard to get. Ok, bad example, but you know what I mean.

I'm not really suggesting a change, I'm just mentioning it so that new reviewers might take those factors into account before scoring something too harshly because it's valuable now.

Dark and Menacing

Please check out my Brickshelf Gallery. It is your DESTINY.
ZombieSeptemris
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about taking the word "review" out of the titles? We're in the set review forum, it's kinda obvious that it's a review. Wink
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks in subforum directory* Hmm... you may be onto something there.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some set review threads need a major trimming.

7662 Trade Federation MTT Review is a great example.
1st Post: Does anyone want a review?
2, 4, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 19, 20, 30 : Where did you find it? / i plan to buy one
3: <ooh, the review was ok but didn't have pics.> Sad
5th: <This Could have been EDITED in the original review.>
6, 7, 8, 10, 15 : Thanks for the nice review!
12: It reeks _ _ _. <is this really a review?>
16: A question
17: an answer
18: Comparison
21-29, 31-33, 38, 39: <blather>
34 35 36 37 40 41 42: more decent reviews?!?

Just a thought that bloat should not hinder fans from getting to the meat of the matter.
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hadn't noticed that thread, but that's ridiculous. Everyone, please - don't start a review thread if you aren't posting a review. That should have gone without saying, but obviously it didn't. I'll take a crack at it later on tonight to tidy up.

edit: looking at it again, it was started before this whole set review forum was made. Still kinda a dumb idea... but there wasn't a rule against it at the time. I'll try something helpful in there...

Also, the image embedding rules are less strict in here. You can post more than the normal amount, but don't make them way oversized or show every step of the build or anything ridiculous.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: