FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3828 Air Temple Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: 3828 Air Temple Review Reply with quote

I realize many of you wish the Avatar theme had never been, but my boys are fans of the show so I surprised them with this set yesterday as a reward for good behavior. It was received enthusiastically to say the least!

I sorted the parts for my six year old son and he had it together in about a hour and half, maybe two hours. The instructions were very clear, and the Avatar theme is printed on every page as a background--a very nice touch. The end result is one simple little tank with a winch, a separate disc flinger that can attach to the tank, one standard Lego catapult, and one small, but pretty looking little Air Temple. There are seven stickers to be applied. Three are wind patterns that go easily on the discs on the front doors. The other four are window stickers that go on the two cylinder quarter pieces. Unfortunatley the cylinder pieces are blank slates to align the stickers on, so you have "stretch out with your feeling" and "let the Force flow through you" to get them on right! The doors are fairly detailed, but the locking mechanism doesn't work all that well in the end. Despite these minor setbacks, it was an easy and fun build for us.

My boys (ages 3 & 6) played with this set all day yesterday. They loved Aang's glider, they loved the winch on the tank, and they loved the trapdoor in the inside of the temple. My older boy like the disc shooter, which because it was separate from the rest of the set, was much easier for him to fire than the ones that are attached to his Exo-Force mechs. The set comes with many trans-green cylinders that are meant to be slime bombs. Naturally the combination of the words slime and bomb are a perfect match for young boys.

Parts: 9/10 Lots of nice beige and brown pieces. Also a nice white baseplate, and many white tiles for all your future Hoth MOCS. The beautifully printed parapet tower piece is great for castle enthusiasts. The set comes with three black katanas, and four Classic Castle black axes so there are many weapons to spare.
Minifigs: 10/10 4 minifigs, and one unique molded flying lemur piece. Three of the figs can also be found in the Fire Nation Ship set, but the fourth one "Sokka" is unique to this set. The two bad guys have custom armor and face detailing. The good guys have printing on the backs of both their torsos and heads and their legs are printed as well. The molded lemur has no articulation, but he's a fun little extra. It's hard to imagine how you could ask for more in a $30 set.
Detail: 9/10 It's a pretty set overall. There is a nice variation of beige and white pieces at the base of the temple to convey snow cover. Simple 1x2 plates around the edges of the parapet as well as some beige cylinders and cones add a ton of detail. The doors look good, even if they don't lock that well. The inside of the temple boasts two weapon racks and a trapdoor.
Playability: 9/10 The tank rolls nicely as one expects, and the glider is very simple but it swooshes just fine. Add in a trapdoor, slime bombs, a catapult, a disc flinger, a winch, lots of weapons, a lemur, and two bad guys to fight and you have a fun filled afternoon.
Price to Parts: 10/10 400 pieces for $30 works out to .075 cents a piece. We're talking a Creator ratio with a licensed theme and unique parts--fairly amazing really.
Availability: 5/10 Get'em while they're hot! On the plus side, you might find this set on clearance. On the down side, they stopped making the set.
OVERALL RATING: 9/10 Other than the difficult-to-place window stickers, there really isn't too much to complain about in this set. Lego clearly went above and beyond to make this a fun set. My guess is that there is an Avatar fan designing for Lego! Sadly for Lego, Avatar's 4 million or so viewers did not translate into 4 million sets sold. If you are a fan of the show, this is an obvious set to buy while you still can. However, for the pieces alone it is a worthy buy for any Lego devotee.
KitFisto007

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review, do you have any pics?
I am also not a fan of avatar, but this set looks cool!
Again great review Smile
Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have any pictures taken as of right now. But if you go to:

http://pre.classic-space.com/?m=avatar1

you'll find a great review with pictures.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: