FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7009, 7090-7094 Castle Sets Reviews

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: 7009, 7090-7094 Castle Sets Reviews Reply with quote

I'll appologize up front... I won't have any pictures in this until much later. I'm sitting at home madly building, after starting at these sets for days. Forgive me! There will be place-holders for the pictures in there, so I know where to put them.

Anyway, the sets I picked up were
7009 - The Final Joust
7090 - Crossbow Attack
7092 - Skeletons' Prison Carriage
7093 - Skeleton's Tower
7094 - King's Castle Siege

I started building, smallest to largest (you know, as you do), well, sort of.

Random observation... there's a funny new graphic at the start of the instructions there's a new warning... don't build your sets on carpet! Apparently there are LEGO monsters or something down there. There's also a funny graphic about sorting the bricks as well, but I haven't quite puzzled out the meaning yet.

7009 is up first.

[assembled set]

I have no idea why the numbering of this set is off so much compared to the rest of the line. Weighing in at $10, this set is a bargain just based on parts. There's a full barded white horse, a knight in full armor, 5 weapons, a skeletal knight on a black skeleton horse (it should be noted that this skeleton knight is actually a normal minifig body). It includes 2 of the knew weapons, a scimitar like thing and the ball/chain mace.

First impression of the new weapons is mixed. The mace just looks weird, since it has a molded chain but sits straight up in the air. The sword is equally weird, but better than the he-man wonders. It looks okay with the skeletons (more like that in the crossbow set review), but not at all with the knights.

[weapons closeup picture]

The "good" knight is simply kick butt, let me say that. The barding is hot, a new blue/gold design, and the armor is printed with a much better pattern than the older KK styles.

[knight picture]

Honestly, when you break down this set, the value is top knotch. $10 would be a good deal for just the barded knight and some weapons, but you get a skeleton knight as well. The rest of the set is marginal, it's just a little jousting fence and a weapon rack, but the knights alone are slick.

Score: Let's give it 4 Benders (I'm just making it up... suffice it to say, I like it)

7090 is up next, the Crossbow Attack

[set picture]

I'll say this up front, this set is only really worht it for the minifigs. A White Skeleton Knight and two soldiers. The crossbow launcher (which is actually a balista) itself is less than inspiring. It's got very low recoil, the band is just kind of strung across the back, and the bolts are just kind of lame (a long technic axil with a black ball on the end). The best part are the two little crossbows that come with it, in a silvery color.

This brings me to the most exciting thing about this little set... the minifigs. The best thing? The helmets are in silver! Not grey, not pearl... actually honest-to-goodness silver color. It's not a silver like a coin, like a new metallic color. I'm sure it's around somewhere else, but I've never seen it before. And on the helmets, it looks so nice! Sadly, it'll probably cost me a fortune to upgrade my army with silver helmets.

[two new minifig pictures]

The new skeletons are... I don't know, awkward at best. It's an interesting proposition, the new skeletons. The arms are... weird looking. They have better motion and they're not floppy, but they're always sticking straight out. They just look awkward in how they come out.

[new skeleton]

Overall, I'd rate the set's value pretty high. $7 gets you 3 minifigs. And some parts from the crossbow.

7092, the Prison Transport Thingie Madoohicker (yes, I can make up words with the best of them)

[set picture]

Oh, and this is my new favorite minifig head...

If you ever need insight into the type of person I am, the entire $20 of this set is justified with that head.

Anyway, the set boasts a very interesting design, and really shows off some of the more recent building ingenuity LEGO has had in recent years. A few interesting parts, like a flexible spine-thing (it's up front to make a guard on the front of the cart), very un-LEGO-ish though.

The set takes a building strategy used in a lot of city sets, and is split up into sub-sets, the horses, the cart, and the cage.

All told, the set itself is kind of cool, but there's something odd about it. It's a mix of really great bricks (the above head, some huge wheels, tiles, etc) and some rather iffy stuff (I never like the big "teeth" looking parts and I don't like the flexible plastic "spine" used for the guard). But you get another knight, a soldier, a coveted brown horse, and 3 skeleton knights. All in all not bad.

And come on...

And, that's what I have for now. I'll post some more, and some pictures, as I build the two big boys.
Swoosh Zombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Massive-shmashive Castle Set review (in progress) Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
There's also a funny graphic about sorting the bricks as well, but I haven't quite puzzled out the meaning yet.

Anything to speed up the build process for the ADD generation is what it seems like to me. Eventually I think they'll just include a couple of Ritalyn with each set. Rolling Eyes
SavaTheAggie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your location says South Dakota... so I'm going to guess you bought your sets at Toys R Us. If you didn't know, TRU is overpricing most, if not all, of these castle sets. S@H (and presumably all the other stores that will be carrying them) are offering these sets $1-$2 or more less than TRU.

The Final Joust should be $7.99.

Crossbow Attack $5.99.

To name a few. I discovered this when I bought the final joust for $10. I won't be buying them from TRU ever again, not as long as I can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Just FYI.

--Tony

Warnung! Diese Unterschrift ist Staatseigentum!
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't pay the extra TRU mark-up either and only got the large Castle set, because it wasn't marked up, like the other ones were.

Steve

P.S. Tony got his signature deleted Razz and a thread locked Razz
SavaTheAggie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athos wrote:
P.S. Tony got his signature deleted Razz and a thread locked Razz

Yeah, well, there's no accounting for taste.

--Tony

Warnung! Diese Unterschrift ist Staatseigentum!
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A few interesting parts, like a flexible spine-thing (it's up front to make a guard on the front of the cart), very un-LEGO-ish though.

That'll be a sliver version of Barakki Ehlek's spine. Also gonna be used on Gadunka, IIRC, so it should keep the mold cost down. Very Happy
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location says South Dakota, but the sets were purchased in Tampa, FL. I do not believe in distance stopping me from my purchases. That being said, I realize that the sets are overpriced, well, sort of, but that's just part of it. TRU is well within their rights to do so, and the only option there is for these sets now are LEGO.com (which I'd pay S&H), LEGO stores (none all that close to where I am), or getting them at TRU. So, I opted to get them. The markup only applies to the smallest of sets, as well, so for an extra $3-4 I got all the sets I wanted months before they'd be stocked at my local places (which amount to Target and Wal-Mart).

Anyway, I've snapped a few pictures and finished assembling the tower and the castle. I'll get a full write-up on them sometime tomorrow.
TheBohrok

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athos wrote:
P.S. Tony got his signature deleted Razz

Dude, that's been like that forever. Razz

dWhisper, thanks for the review. I can't wait to get a hold of these sets. And that head is awesome! Smile
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be noted that the same head appears in the large castle set, and the maiden in the Skull Tower has a similar variation.

The pictures of the large keep don't really do it justice. There are some really interesting bricks included with these sets being used in really interesting ways. One cool thing is that the new sword for the undead guys has a clip on the end, so you can attach it to lightsaber bars, axles, etc. Kinda nifty. They also use the skateboard wheels a lot, for things like torches, the necromancer's staff, and weapons.

Another interesting piece...

Now for the bigger quandry... where to put these dang things. I just snapped some pictures of my office, to take a moment to enjoy the surreal nature of what I'm currently dealing with in here. I'll have to post them, because I don't believe I could form words to do this mess justice.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: