FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7654 Droids Battle Pack Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: 7654 Droids Battle Pack Review Reply with quote

Even though many of you have already seen the images on Brickshelf, I wanted to finish what I started with these reviews. Therefore I bring you:

7654 - Droids Battle Pack
I also found this set earlier last week at TRU in Ohio. They were one of the few stores to get all the 2007 SW Lego sets at the same time. Most of them should be available in your area by now.

The Box
As I said in my previous review of the Clone pack, I like the new direction Lego is taking with the box graphics. Great colorful graphics all over showing the sets in heavy action on the front, pictures of a featured figure on one side, the SW 30th anniversary logo on the other, and a mini catalog on the back. The 7654 Droids Battle Pack has a funny interpretation of one of the vehicles on the front. Notice anything funny about the STAP?:

(It's missing a part - see below for the actual construction)
Please also notice that Lego is commanding you to “Build your Army“, with the inclusion of the little crest in the lower left corner.

For both the Battle Pack sets, they show all the minifigs lined up on the back. I guess so you know exactly what you are getting. Not sure this is extremely usefull, but I found it appealing.

The Build
102 pieces. Now that’s better!Smile The build is a bit more challenging on this set than the Clone pack. Much better piece value and a more complex vehicle assortment are in store for you.
The STAP is a huge improvement from the ones originally designed in the Naboo Swamp set. This vehicle is the secondary highlight of the set. It’s a well designed model with one minor flaw. I thought the integration with the clear stand was a bit annoying since you can not separate it without loosing the foot rest. It takes away a bit from the swoosh factor, but looks pretty cool up on the shelf.

However, the build was mildly interesting as it centers around a five-studded 1x1 brick and a technique1x1 brick with hole.

In my opinion, it represents the actual model better than the last official Lego version (see above for link) and comes closer to the movie version.

The Droid Transport in this set was a nice surprise and while purely fictional (not seen in the film), I could easily imagine it fitting in with the rest of the Prequel saga. It looks consistent with other prequel designs and is a pretty decent looking Lego model. At least it's better looking than the MTT.
The pilot droid sits up in the front cone that connects with a turntable plate.

The front guns also connect via technic friction pins and anti-stud beams. They use 4 of the 3 studded 1x1 bricks and some grey lightsaber hilts.

The result of these construction techniques is that the front turret can rotate slightly and elevate the guns

Here is the finished model of the transport:

The transport is sturdy enough for mild swooshing, but the sides are prone to breaking off if you grab it wrong.

The Droids
It is great to see the return of the Super Battle Droid!
The color may be a bit controversial, but it looks much closer to the movie version (in my opinion Mr. Green). I've always wanted more of these in my collection.

We get three in this set which is one more than in the RGS.

A full complement of standard clones are also included (4 in all):

They are in the classic tan used in many of the past Prequel sets.

Lego should have included some color variation in this set. The inclusion of a droid pilot or droid commander would have really been a selling feature for me (and many others I’m sure). However, E-bayers rejoice! Your blue and yellow droid parts will continue to trade at high dollar values. Somehow, including droid commanders would have also been a great parallel with the Clone pack as it contained standard and command Clones. All the droids appear to use the same molds we have seen before with no new parts.

The Weapons
Pretty weak here. I didn’t even bother to snap an extra picture for them as they are the standard loudhailers with orange 1x1 rounds on the ends. Additionally we only get 2 of them for the non-super battle droids that aren't deployed to pilot duty.

The Parts
No new parts, but I thought it was a pretty good assortment with the inclusion of a few technic parts, two 4 x 8 plates, the hollow cone, and a variety of wedges and slopes. We even have some leftover parts seen in the picture below.

The set even has a parts list included in the instructions.

Plus just to sweeten the pot, this set comes with 4 of the grey lightsaber hilts.

Final Impressions
In the market for brown with a bit of grey? Here’s your set! Plus you get a few battle droids and super battle droids. ::D:
All kidding aside… Just like the Clone pack, this set will appeal to the army builders the most. However, this Droid Battle Pack has more interesting parts and may appeal to some folks seeking the specific parts contained here. But as a whole, this is a pretty good set and a much better value for the $10 price than the other Battle Pack. I would actually recommend this set as a good starting point for a young builder and it could even satisfy the typical SW Lego collector. The vehicles are much more interesting, it has a better parts assortment, and we get 7 droids!

Opening this set after the other battle pack makes me realize that this is the better of the two. Buy it for the Droids and buy it for the STAP.

Summary
Build – 6
Finished Model – 6 (good, but you can tell it’s only a $10 set)
Durability – 9
Swooshability – 9 (Not as swooshable as the Clone pack, but it’s pretty good.)
Parts – 5 (need some better weapons)
Value – 10 (4 battle droids, 3 SBDs, and 2 cool vehicles.)
Overall – 7.5 Cool little set!

Craig

PS> Almost forgot, we get this cool mini poster inside the instructions.

Last edited by Darth's Zombie on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
snowtrooper202

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review! Smile
Ordered 3 of these from shop@home!
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks darth, I have 5 of each b pack on the way
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is worth the tan droid arms and bodies and the lightsaber hilts. Might buy a couple just for those parts.

Location: Standing on a 1500 Megawatt Aperture Science Heavy-Duty Supercolliding Super Button

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be pretty easy to reattach the STAP footrest with one of these instead of the clear stand? Hello, swooshability!

Xiphos Systems Experimental Engineering
The Best of the Rest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BCspeed34

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, to tell you the truth, when I saw the thumbnails for the SBD picture on Brickshelf, I thought it was a reference picture. Shocked
bobthelegobuilder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the clear stand adds to the swooshability. You can hold it by the stand and swoosh it around. I would think it would be better.
obi-matt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the droid carrier was seen in epI twice Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obi-matt wrote:
actually the droid carrier was seen in epI twice Cool

Not that Droid Carrier though. The one in 7654 was never in any film.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that great review!
I too think, that the STAP looks much better than the first version.

FlickrBrickshelf
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was just looking, and you said the construction of the STAP was centered around this piece, but isn't it really this Piece Wink
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
You know, I was just looking, and you said the construction of the STAP was centered around this piece, but isn't it really this Piece Wink

Hey Turkguy! Thanks for correcting the error!
The transport uses 4 of the 3 studded 1x1 parts, but the STAP is centered around the 5 stud version.
I have already disassembled the set and I was holding the wrong piece when I wrote the review.
I will correct the text above.

Craig
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellodude wrote:
Wouldn't it be pretty easy to reattach the STAP footrest with one of these instead of the clear stand? Hello, swooshability!

Light gray minifig neck brackets with standard studs... is there anything they can't do? I'd love to get a whole bunch of those (like in the triple digits, I love them so much)

I'm buying two of each pack eventually, otherwise I'll wait for the storm/rebel packs
Isaac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review. Since I've seen these battlepacks I decided I'd buy a few of them no matter what, but you've at least given me a better idea of what I'll be getting in them.

GIR3691 wrote:

I'm buying two of each pack eventually, otherwise I'll wait for the storm/rebel packs

Yeah, we seriously need some Rebel packs especially. Personally, I'd love to see a Rebel battlepack with a mix of Hoth, Endor, and Tantive IV soldiers(I don't know what they'd do for the box cover, but I'm sure they could come up with something). I believe the only Rebel soldier yet released by Lego is the Hoth soldier, unfortunately.
Zombie Sillyus
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this is Lego's way of saying, "buy multiples!!!" Razz

Re: the box art
One funny thing i did notice is that the SBD pictured in the bottom corner is commanding us to "BUILD YOUR ARMY" with his *right* arm, wheras the Lego SBDs are using their *left* arms! WOW! Wink

Hey- as long as the clips don't break.
Silvar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Ideas! From a kids perspective these are way cool, and we deffinatly need some rebels for the Landing Craft to lay waste too...

What about a Jedi battle pack?
BCspeed34

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this set! I'm glad I got three!

I added a BD pilot to my carrier, looks A LOT better!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BCspeed34/7654/addedbdpilot.jpg

Last edited by BCspeed34 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
fragment

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it easy to add some paint on the drods to create droid pilots/commanders?
RickF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big question is: did Lego improve the Super Battle Droids so that their arms don't crack? The ones in the RGS were made of an especially hard, brittle plastic that broke easily. I can't explain it, but it's definitely different than the plastic used for the regular Battle Droids, of which I have many and have never had one break.
BCspeed34

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here comes the Separatist Army!

I LOVE this set! Even more than the clones! Well, maybe not as much as my beloved Shocktrooper, its the bike that disgusts me.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Review 7654 - Droids Battle Pack Reply with quote

Darth's Daddy wrote:

I found that to be a bit annoying when it came time to swoosh the thing, so I replaced the turntable with a plain 2x2 plate.
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Review 7654 - Droids Battle Pack Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
Darth's Daddy wrote:

I found that to be a bit annoying when it came time to swoosh the thing, so I replaced the turntable with a plain 2x2 plate.

You must swoosh harder than I do! ::D:

It does rotate on its own, but only if you tilt it too much.

Craig
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickF wrote:
did Lego improve the Super Battle Droids so that their arms don't crack?

For me, the hip clip cracked.
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Review 7654 - Droids Battle Pack Reply with quote

Darth's Daddy wrote:

You must swoosh harder than I do! ::D:

You have to swoosh like you mean it. Wink
Olog
Ambassadargh!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have to swoosh like you mean it. Wink

thats a great line Very Happy . Swoosh like you never swooshed before!

I would honestly buy this set for some nice pieces in there, I am not a huge fan of making armies... but If we will get them here in romania (best chance next year) then it will cost around 18$.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: