FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOC guides?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: MOC guides? Reply with quote

I realize guides to making a MOC might go against the whole idea of a MOC, but still... I've been trying to get back into doing some neat SW-themed ships but I'm really not up to snuff with all the new building techniques like adding all the little details (SNOT I think it is?) and whatnot. Apart from going through Brickshelf and MOCpages, are there any sort of "guides" out there that give ideas on how to do detail work, different building concepts, etc.? It's a broad request, I know, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask. Very Happy

m19
SpaceManMort

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was something on lug net a long time ago, I donít think it got very far off the ground.
you might want to check there.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may be a violation of law.
Icezombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude look around brickshelf a lot look at their creations and then haul out your tub o' lego and experiment using lots of diff. variations.
OUTATIME

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little details are called greeblies actually, SNOT is Studs Not on Top, in which parts of a model are built in a direction other than up. A brick and two plates is the same height as a 2-stud plate placed vertically. Experiment around with this, you'll find that SNOT techniques can really give a good form to a ship.

Really, though, it's difficult to guide someone on building a MOC... it's best to learn the different techniques for yourself, how they can be used, and then implementing them into your model. You'll improve more and more as you continue to experiment. Smile

My Lego Website
"I see the hand of man arise, with hungry mind and open eyes..." -Rush, 2112
R.I.P John Z. DeLorean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
roguebantha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find looking at loads of reference pictures and deciding on one or two bricks that capture a bit really well is a good place to start a new model.

And build as many offical sets as you can and see how they can be improved as well as learning some of the interesting solutions they come up with.

And just sit down with loads of bricks around and experiment, let the bricks flow Wink
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, all good suggestions. I'm going to be picking up my tubs o' bricks from storage this weekend (I haven't had space until now in the new apartment) and then'll have at it... I'm a little afraid, actually, that I'll get frustrated. It's different when I was a kid and I didn't care if a ship was yellow and blue and green and red, so hopefully I won't be too hard on myself. ::D:

I've found that over the past few weeks as I've been getting geared up to start MOCing, keeping a sketchbook of ideas has worked wonders. Even if it's just a flash of a shape or a "hey wouldn't this be neat?!", jotting it down on paper really helps remind me what I was thinking of.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sketching rarely works for me. I've started my own personal gallery on my computer of images of various things I like about certain Mocs. Like, Mech leg construction, landing gear, greeblies, controls, windows, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michealearlwillard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I haven't built a custom lego set in years, long before lego started using new techniques, like snot or hinges for curves. So now there is a whole new world opened up for bulding. I'm finally starting to accumulate legos so I can build an Ebon Hawk though, based off of that big one I've seen a few times (lost the the link so I can't remember the member name) I'm gonna use sand red though since all the new colors of lego are sooo cool.

But I'd say, you need a good idea of what you want to build first, then try to visualize how it would look with bricks. Although back in the day I would build a cool shape or piece combination and then try to adapt it into a ship or something.
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michealearlwillard wrote:
...so I can build an Ebon Hawk though, based off of that big one I've seen a few times (lost the the link so I can't remember the member name)

This one?

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/5945

(EDIT-) I also find the link below on Brickshelf recently; I think it's a smaller EH but I think I like it better simply because it's more compact and less "stud"ly. (For example, the engines.)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=95946

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
michealearlwillard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that's the one, thanks for the link! Both of those are pretty sweet, But I think I want to build it to scale. The guy who built that used some great techniques, I definitely recommend that model for ideas of custom building
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: