FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Help: Rate the Episode III Sets!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Newbie Help: Rate the Episode III Sets! Reply with quote

April 2 is probably the most anticipated date for people on these forums, next to May 19.

In preparation for the uncontrollable spending spree that will consume all of us on that date, it might do us some good to heed the advice of those who have walked down the road before. Use this thread to advice new comers to Star Wars Legos on tips on buying Ep III sets and rating the sets for those that are considering buying them.

Those of us lucky enough to have scored an Episode III lego set prior to April 2nd may have some words of wisdom for those that will proceed. Just to make it easier for those trying to listen to those words, I suggest the following way of rating the Episode III sets:

5 (highest): Highly recommended. Buy asap as these hot cakes will sell.
4: Great set, buy it quickly but keep eye out for sales.
3: Would not pay full price again. Wait for sale.
2: If you can afford it. Buy when clearanced.
1 (lowest): Not recommended. Only accept it if given as gift.

Some main factors for you to consider:

Building fun
Swooshability/playability
Design.

This is geared more to those who may not have alot of money and want more bang for their buck, as Star Wars Legos may not compromise 20-30% of their budget.

For everbody else, who are you kidding? You'd buy a carton of cow dung if it had the Star Wars Lego logo on it.
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill start.

As far as buying advice. April 2nd isnt the end of all things, its the beginning. My advice would be to wait until afterward to buy the sets and save yourself from the madness, in a casual environment. But then again this is the last time something of this magnitude will happen again--as far we're concerned--why not cash in on the madness and cherish the memories? Pros and cons to each side.

I bought all my Ep I and Ep II sets (which includes every SW Lego set minus a few insignificant ones like Watto's Junkyard) on my own timetable. Didn't miss out on any of them except for the 7190 Millenium Falcon, man that flew off the shelves!!

As far as ROTS sets go, I have only bought two of the ten ROTS sets so far (7256 Jedi Starfighter and 7259 ARC-170). Two more should reach me by tommorrow (7261 Clone Turbo Tank and 7260 Wookie Cataraman).

7256 Jedi Starfighter

I rate this one a 5. Well worth the price you pay. Even without the vulture droid (for which I have millions), this is worth the 19.99 sticker price. Don't make the mistake and buy too many of them, as it appears there may be another set released with a red Jedi Starfighter in it. Quick (too quick) build, EXTREMELY swooshable, and nice design.

7259 ARC-170

Rating: 3.5. I had questions about this set and I still have questions after having built it. The gaping holes where the wings attach to the body are very distracting and I will have to address this issue. Seen here . But its unconventional shape is a tribute to the vintage Old Republic. Swooshable but with reservations. The wings are rather flimsy and snap at remarkably weak locations. Here are some pictures that I would have liked to see before having invested in this worthy cause:

In comparison with the 7163 Republic Gunship:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Last edited by Senator Theant on Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
macvsog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you give us an idea of exactly what points are weak and what could be done to fix them if you have any ideas?

-mike-
Zombie Sillyus
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7250 Clone Scout Walker: 5.0

This will sell fast beacuse it's the cheapest way to get a new Clorm Trooper (w/ very nice Republic Red markings), and the box is very asthetically appealing. Every SW Lego fan will instantly recognise that it's the ancestor of the very popular AT-ST. But this one's legs and turret/head positioning are vastly superior in every way. The old 7127 quickly became the only way to get a cheap Chewie, but the model itself became a parts pack after 5 minutes. This one's playability is terrific. Walk & rotate & shoot! Blast the battle droids! Razz Walk more & rotate more & shoot again! Blast more battle droids! Razz Then suddenly turn on the Jedi!!! Twisted Evil And the alt model of the "Clone Interceptor" w/ it's green accents is simply brilliant.

7250 does not disappoint & IMHO is a multiple purchase no-brainer. Buy it now, buy it later. And again. Very Happy

7251 Darth Vader Transformation: 4.0

The scene we've all been waiting along time to see, in a simple & cheap set. Yes, it *should* have included the new Emperor fig in all his grey-toned yellow-eyed glory. No reason not to, or at least include another small droid & more medical / lab equipment. But you'd soon have a $12 Palpatine's Emergency Medical Clinic set or something more expensive instead. This set's actually fine as is, after the quick no-instructions needed build. What you see is what you get, but what you don't see on the box is how cool the BBQ Anakin fig really is. Look at that poor mug! Sad http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1155917 They could have done something to make the torso look disfigured while keeping it ok for 6-7 yr olds, instead of just using the same one from the other sets. Now Jared will have a new decal to work on for us. Razz

Get it if only for the BBQ Anakin fig, and to use as a starting point to build Palpatine's Lab after seeing the movie. Smile

7252 Droid Tri-Fighter and 7258 Wookiee Attack) reviews to come later...

Last edited by Zombie Sillyus on Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7255 General Grievous Chase 2.0 out of 5.0
While I like some of the parts in this thing (Some quickie customs and partial customs soon to come) overall its kind of a blah set. The beast that ObiWan rides is just lame (As IMO is the rest of the dinosaur line sets...Come on...Its like 2 parts) and the general grievous thing he rides on is just kinda blah. Seems like its missing parts when you're done with it. And yes...The lightsabers are gray and not silver...Makes no sense to me either. Parts wise, it's mainly specializeded junk, but there are a few notable pieces I liked. The dark gray feet on the beast will make PERFECT wampa feet, Grievous' head is essentially a normal minifig head so you could slap it on and make a Jedi/Rebel Pilot/Whatever, and Grievous' cape is double sided like Landos. Grey with a symbol on one side, dark red on the other. A couple cool pieces dont make a set though. Looking at this side by side with the trifighter or even the scout walker seems like it could be like a 12 dollar set.
Overall? Cool for Grievous but other than that....
bearpred6

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clon turbo tank- 5.0
I really like how the tank comes together when you're done and it is more sturdy then the AT-TE.
ARC-170- 4.0
This was a pretty good set but, the wing set-up was [i]really[/i] bad.
Jedi Stafighter- 3.5
This was an OKAY set. The lightsaber storage for Anakin JSF was horrible. I don't know if any1 else had this problem, but, when I was putting my engines in the JSF, THEY Wouldn't go in! That resulted in me dropping one of the gray theings and losing it. Mad

Also, where'd u guys get yours? I got mine at amazon via froogle.
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearpred6 wrote:
clon turbo tank- 5.0
I really like how the tank comes together when you're done and it is more sturdy then the AT-TE.
ARC-170- 4.0
This was a pretty good set but, the wing set-up was really bad.
Jedi Stafighter- 3.5
This was an OKAY set. The lightsaber storage for Anakin JSF was horrible. I don't know if any1 else had this problem, but, when I was putting my engines in the JSF, THEY Wouldn't go in! That resulted in me dropping one of the gray theings and losing it. Mad

Also, where'd u guys get yours? I got mine at amazon via froogle.

7261 Clone Turbo Tank (3.5)

Agreed. More sturdy because you don't have to move it . . . it has wheels and thus it rolls. The fact that it was wheels is a big plus. Armor plating isnt lamely attached like the AT-TE, major plus. In fact, this thing kicks the AT TEs butt big time. But it still doesnt cut it. Too many open holes, though conceivably this is necessary for the doors to swing open, as hinges are on the bottom.

Hand Fits Through Open Space
Echo . . . echo . . . echo . . .
Doors Swing Down, So Modify It

Anything small stored into the main compartment must be secured or it might fall out. You can modify it to have the doors open up, like in the 4483 AT AT.

Building consisted of much smaller pieces than expected, which leaves something to be desired with the finished model. Loads of fun to play, I have no doubt this will be considered one of the best playability sets. I was surprised to see that this thing is dwarfed by the AT-TE (which me and my brothets have dubbed "The Slug").

Comparisons with the 4482
Hey Fatboy on the Left!
Lighting is waay off, but you get the picture

All my sets were purchased via the Amazon sale. The 7256 Jedi Starfighter was bought from the Lego Store when it came out.
smiles_hope

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided it was important to bring this post back up to the top as April 2 rolls around and people look for what to buy.

7250 Clone Scout Walker 5.0. For only $10, this is a great little set. In fact, if you look at the other sets available for cheap, this one blows them out of the water. Its a quick build and displays great. For playability you can't go wrong either because of how moveable it is.

ARC 170 4.0. The only reason I didn't give this a higher rating is because of the flimsy wings. If all you're doing is displaying this, then it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you have lots of display room, as the wingspan of this is ginormous. The figures are unique and the build actually takes some time (especially if you mess up Embarassed ). Overall a good set (especially when you got it through amazon for 25% off with free shipping).
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: 7260 Wookie Cataraman: 2.5 Reply with quote

Such an assortment of pieces could be used for better purposes. What tries to save this set is the Clormtrooper vehicle and the minifigures, which is as cool as they look. If you can imagine the vehicle (forgive me--I dont know what it real name is) as a ground vehicle, its a great mobile addition to the Republic Army--as seen here and here. Otherwise, this set is a wierd one to play with and because of its size, itll be a drag to store. Both the Cataraman and the Clorm vehicle were enjoyable to build, so there are no complaints there. But like I said, this package of brown pieces will be better used making something else.
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious Theant, does the catamaran roll on the floor or is it meant to fly/float? I remember hearing something about it having wheels that turn the propellor, but it looks like it'd make a neat airship-type creation as well.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M19-This is a pic of the belly of the beast. No wheels to move the propeller. That job is left to your finger. Lego is generous enough to give you two propellers for added effect. If it did have wheels that moved the propeller, that would have been awesome.

Quote:
but it looks like it'd make a neat airship-type creation as well

You think so do you? Get a load of these.
sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookiee Catamran is supposed to fly, you can see it briefly in the background of the trailer.
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate Lightsaber Duel 4.0

First off let me say the reason I gave it a 4 is because it looks like the over all impression from the Star Wars LEGO community is pretty low.

I personally love this set! It is very easy to put together and great to play with. It didn't take me a lot of time to build. It's going to go by incredibly fast especially if you sort out your parts first. There are many steps that you repeat 2-3 times that included a bunch of pieces. I actually like the alternate model on the back of the box that resembles some of the pics with Anakin and Obiwan fighting on the table. So overall it's a wonderful set that exceeded my personal expectations and doesn't deserve half the criticism it recieves. I would highly reccommned it. Like I said I would've given this a 5.0 if not for the general response from the community.

On another note is there any site that gives instructions on how to make the alternate models seen in the intructions and boxes?
HK-47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookie Attack 4.0

This is a pretty good set overall. If you buy a couple of these you should be able to have a pretty good battle setup if you are into that kind of thing. This set includes 2 smallish vehicles and one Corporate Alliance tank. My only complaints on the tank is that

1.It seems really small. I always thought it was much bigger. I mean, the Hailfire Droid is 20x the size of it

2.You have to assemble the treads yourself, and if I remember correctly there are like 69 little pieces that you have to connect to get a full tread. Plus, you only get the exact number of pieces you need, so if you lose one you cant put it together.

3.The finished model looks unfinished.

The spider droid is a pretty neat little model, but the head spins around a lot. The Wookie vehicle included is really cool. I love how the gunner works his gun in the back of the vehicle.

In the end, I say this is a pretty good buy. If you want to boost your Separatist army, itís a must buy. If you want a cool wookie flyer itís a must buy as well.

I am the only thing that can save us now! Ya, we are all doomed
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poohbear14 wrote:
On another note is there any site that gives instructions on how to make the alternate models seen in the intructions and boxes?

Unlikely, unless any community member takes the time to put some together in CAD or something.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Repoort
Man of Many Reds

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HK-47 wrote:
I mean, the Hailfire Droid is 20x the size of it.

Even though it doesn't say so, the Hailfire Droid was a Technic set, so I don't think it's fair to compare for scale.
HK-47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repoort wrote:
HK-47 wrote:
I mean, the Hailfire Droid is 20x the size of it.

Even though it doesn't say so, the Hailfire Droid was a Technic set, so I don't think it's fair to compare for scale.

True, but its still sold with the minifigure scale models

I am the only thing that can save us now! Ya, we are all doomed
RickF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiee Attack: 3.5

I really wanted some wookiee warriors, and I don't like the catamaran set except for the Luminara fig and the smaller clone vehicle that comes with it. So, despite the fact that I thought both vehicles in this set looked stupid, I bought it.

I enjoyed the build more than I expected. The tank, love it or hate it, has some cool construction techniques, and the tread works beautifully, making a neat whirring sound when you push the tank along (be sure to count the tread pieces for a proper fit; I first used all of mine and then discovered that I had used 70 instead of 69 treads.

The wookiee ship is, IMO, dumb looking; since I haven't seen a picture of the movie version, I don't know if this is Lego's fault or Lucas'. But the figures are cool and the turret thing on the back is pretty sweet.

Also the spider droid is a nice extra. Too bad the battle droids are unchanged; it would have been nice to get some kind of color variation on these.

In conclusion, the tank vehicle is far cooler in "person" than in pictures, and overall I am happier with the set than I thought I would be.
Jores

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Starfighter and Vulture Droid. 4.9

I really liked putting together this set. It was in my price range and had a cool selection of pieces.

The Jedi Starfighter is cool, and I really like the laser cannons. Finnaly no pre-molded stuff!

The Vulture droid however is just a sand blue Droid Starfighter so nothing special about that.

The only reason the set doesn't get a perfect score is because of the stickers you have to apply. The flesh toned fig isn't the greatest but you get used to it. Very Happy

"That is why you fail." -Yoda
Count Blacktron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 7260 Wookie Cataraman: 2.5 Reply with quote

Senator Theant wrote:
Such an assortment of pieces could be used for better purposes. What tries to save this set is the Clormtrooper vehicle and the minifigures, which is as cool as they look. If you can imagine the vehicle (forgive me--I dont know what it real name is) as a ground vehicle, its a great mobile addition to the Republic Army--as seen here and here. Otherwise, this set is a wierd one to play with and because of its size, itll be a drag to store. Both the Cataraman and the Clorm vehicle were enjoyable to build, so there are no complaints there. But like I said, this package of brown pieces will be better used making something else.

I honestly cannot see children clamoring for this set, really. It has Yoda, but so does the Dagobah X-Wing which is a FAR superior build and toy experience.

As I built the Wookie Catamaran and the Clone "thingy" that came with it I kept on asking myself why I bought it. Almost any kid/AFOL can come up with a more satisfying design from their own home collection of parts, I think.

As a boat, the Catamaran has so many holes as to make it impossible to suspend disbelief that it could be a boat. Not very "swooshable" as some put it, and the action features are either ho-hum or a pain in the brick. It's like some goofy Waterworld contraption, built by the Swiss Family Robinson and finished by Patrick Starfish. Confused

The accessory Clone vehicle is flawed in many respects tatctically, which is likely as not the fault of LEGO design. Could be a Lucasfilm problem, but I'll wait until I see it in the movie. I question the whole layout of engine, guns, seating and overall design. Very strange little Land/Sea/Air? Speeder, not sure what to make of it.

Both of these in the same set together seem like afterthoughts, but with a $50 price tag. LEGO could have done better. Lucasfilm could have done better. I don't know about you, but this set gets my vote for *lame*.

I got them at 25% off with free shipping in March from Amazon.com, but I feel that I could have waited until a KBToys clearance, or Target. Only get it if you cannot stand not having the green-trim Troopers or the whole collection of light-up minifigures. Otherwise your money is better spent IMHO. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Wookie Attack: 3 Reply with quote

Quote:
The Wookie vehicle included is really cool.

I have to disagree with that. I think the Wookie Flyer looks like something that can broadcast a radio station rather than fight in a battle. Totally awkward. I dont think Lego did the best with this set.

The Corporate Alliance Tank/Spider Droid have their problems with design, but I compare this with the sentiment expressed with the 7184 Trade Federation MTT. Some people liked it, some people didnt like it, but later it was well accepted despite mainly flaws in color. Already this set is popular because of the treads, you can only figure this has nowhere to go but up. My advice is get this before it disappears, when it will be sought after.
sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARC-170 Fighter - 9/10
I got this set a while ago and I love it. It's got a clever wing opening mechanism and can drop bombs, both using the same wheel at the back. The minifigs are great and I love the way the back cockpit opens. The only probelm with this set is that thw wings are a little flimsy.

Wookiee Catamaran - 9/10
The Catamaran itself is very large and cleverly built. Its features include a firing missile and a bomb dropping mechanism on both sides that works very well. The Clone Speeder is pretty cool as well, and is quite movie-accurate from the pics I've seen. The Clones with green markings, the Wookiee and Lumanara Unduli are great, and I don't mind the light-up minifigs, and the head spinning problem really isn't that bad.

The only problem with this set is the price (it has less pieces than the ARC, but costs £10 more), but if you don't mind paying the money it's a great set.
Count Blacktron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARC-170

After having this set on display for a couple of weeks, I have run into a problem. The wings disassemble themselves! The ends are not very structurally secure and their weight exceeds the click of the brick. I have to go back and press the end portions together every couple of days.

After comparing it to the official pictures and the Hasbro toy I can see that LEGO got the wings wrong. They are too long. Needs a re-build. Badly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clone Scout Walker
4/5

A Solid design and a cool Clone Captain, but its legs don't move! It's the one thing I miss from the old AT-ST. Also the "head" is attached poorly, and moves with the guns. Overall though, a few minor design flaws, and it is a fairly accurate representation of "the real thing".

ARC-170
3.5/5

Honestly, the model looks real sleek at first glance. However, the wings are unstable and have a tendency to break off when you're "swooshing" it. The engine bays+wings are held too far off the body (which is a consequence of the design they chose to raise/lower the wings), and the wings are badly out of scale to the rest of the ship. Also, the front parts also tend to fall off, although that should be easier to fix. The Clone Pilots are awesome though, and the overall coolness of a six-winged fighter does give it some extra points.

Darth Vader Transformation
5/5

It's a small set. Its got an awesome crispy Anakin, and a Vader, and a Medical Droid. It's worth the money. Go buy it.

Ultimate Duel
4/5

A rare playset, and it gets some points just for that. Standard Obi-wan/Anakin figs. It's well designed, and would probably be fun to play with. I don't normally play with my legos though, so its sorta boring for me. Overall though, its a cool set.

Jedi Starfighter and Vulture Droid
4.5/5

Ok, both models are very good. Anakin's fighter is almost spot on, and the vulture droid is a much better remake of the old Droid Fighter. The use of stickers angers me, as well as many of you, but it's a small price to pay for 2 cool models.

Clone Turbo Tank
3/5

This set is awesome at first glance. It is bigger than any other set from Episode 3, and it has some cool sides. The tank itself, however is a nightmare. The front and back wheels hang off the ground at all times, just waiting for a bump to come along. Also the sides of the vehicle up front tend to just drop down, even when youre doing nothing to it. The BARC speeder is another story, and is one of the funnest LEGO things I have. Honestly, they could make a set just like the old Speeder Bike set. Just put 2 of the BARC speeders with Pilots, and 2 battle droids. It would be great. The gun that comes with it is also well designed, if a little "twirly". It can be transported in the main bay of the turbo tank. Also, who doesn't want Mace Windu, even if he is LULS. Overall, the extras save this set from becoming a huge waste of money, but a skilled forum member could perhaps redesign the tank so it has some badly needed features.
RickF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any evaluations of the Droid Trifighter in this thread, so I'll throw in my two cents. Despite my reservations (no true minifig, limited colors, plenty of clicky hinges in my collection already, etc.) I picked up the set anyway. I built it last night, and I love it. The construction methods and overall design are clever and more advanced than most sets. There are MANY 1 X 2 bricks with the two studs on each side, in both sand blue and black, as well as lots of 2 X 2 tiles in black, dark blue, and sand blue. The buzz droid is okay, not great but decent.

Another thing I like is that, although the set comes with stickers, the model looks complete without them. By comparison, I've seen some pics of the new Jedi Starfighter and Vulture Droid without the stickers and, in my opinion, that set looks naked without them.

I'm not going to give it a 5, as I'll reserve that rating for sets like the AT-AT and Republic Gunship. But for sheer building fun (and the bonus of maybe learning a couple of new techniques in the process), I confidently give this a solid 4.0.

--Rick
Deadlychipmunks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... now that I look more closely I see that I have the Droid Tri-fighter, and inexplicably left it out of my evaluations. That'll happen to you when you write posts at 6:30 in the morning

Droid Tri-Fighter
4/5

When I first saw this set, I was underwhelmed, but after putting it together, I was pleasantly surprised. It is very sturdy, and eminently "swooshable", which is a nice change from most of the other Ep. 3 sets. Also, it's just a cool-looking design. The buzz droid was a nice addition, although rather large. Although this set uses stickers, they are not needed to give the set a complete look. My only problem with this set was with the cockpit. It was too small to comfortably fit the buzz droid inside, and also tended to come apart if you tried opening it/closing it in anything other than a loving, tender way. Overall though, great set.

In other news, my Wookie Catamaran should be coming in the mail tuesday or wednesday, and I will try to write a review of that set shortly after recieving it.
rive

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the sets and have built them all except for the Turbo Tank. As such I will give my opinion on the others, but I'm sure the Turbo Tank is great as well.

Vader Transformation - At best an afterthought purchase. Nothing truly exciting other than it contains the goriest looking minifig I've seen. So get it if you want a rarity for a Lego set.

AT-RT - Great set. Buy immediately. Small, cheap, looks good, and includes a Clonetrooper which is the next best thing to Stormtrooper minifigs.

Droid Tri-Fighter - Get this one after you get everything else you want. Its alright, but the lack of a minifig does hurt this set. The Buzz Droid thing does nothing for me and I don't consider it a minifig. The fighter itself is okay, but seems a bit overpriced. Buy it for $10 or less and you won't have any regrets.

Grevious Chase - An essential purchase. Grevious is the new big villian for RotS and as such you need the set just to get him. Plus you get a normal Obi-Wan. The lizard isn't much to look at like other Lego beasts, but the wheel-tank is an interesting piece. I like sets where you get a complete battle scene instead of just one side's vehicles. This way you can have a battle scene immediately even if you're strapped for cash. As for the price of this set, its a bit much so you may want to wait for a price drop.

Jedi Starfighter and Vulture Droid - An essential purchase. The fighter design is a flagship for the movie and you get a normal Anakin. Plus you get an enemy fighter so you can have an immediate battle scene. Stickers weren't annoying to me. The only real drawback to the set is that the yellow fins on the fighter aren't flush to the wings which isn't very accurate, but I guess its as good as it can be for a Lego set of this size. The Vulture Droid is fairly boring, but at least its something.

Ultimate Lightsaber Duel - Unecessary purchase. Though I will say that this is currently the ony set in which Anakin doesn't have something weird painted on his face. The Jedi Starfighter Anakin has a headset painted on his head and the Vader Transformation Anakin is gory looking and has no hairpiece or lightsaber. Only drawback to this Anakin is the typical light-up lightsaber minifig issues. Obi-Wan oddly has his cape over his head in this set which is not how the trailer shows the fight. He should be capeless, as should Anakin. Doesn't come with a spare hairpiece for Obi-Wan either. The Mustafar playset is as good as you could normally expect for Lego, but I don't care for playsets much.

Wookie Attack - A good set and worth a purchase. Two Wookie Warriors plus an assortment of droids to make a nice battle scene without additional purchases. So its good if you're on a budget and only looking to buy a few sets. The Tank Droid is the best out of this set.

ARC-170 Fighter - One of the essentials. Impressively large and aesthetically pleasing. Spaceships are what Lego seems to do best and it shows here too. Three cool Clonetroopers as well.

Wookie Catamaran - Only for the completist or wait until the price drops, IMO. As it is, its not worth $50. While the Catamaran is nice and unique for a Star Wars Lego vehicle, its fairly plain and has side panels that fall off very easily. Making it basically a display piece only. The minifigs are cool and you get some uniquely colored Clonetroopers plus the female Jedi Luminara Unduli, but they don't make the set worth the bucks. Chewbacca, Wookie Warrior, and Yoda are available in other cheaper sets and there is nothing unique to them here. The clone vehicle is cool, but not much to speak of. When/if this drops to the $30 range, it'll be a good buy.
UL532

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Purchases Reply with quote

AT-RT: likely the best buy from the entire ROTS collection. I agree that this one warrants multiple purchases. Can't get the legs to pose easily in more than stock position though.

Droid Fighter: Not sure at first, but after assembling it I am thinking about getting another one. Good design and faithful to the movie. But have to figure out a display stand for this one. Any ideas?

Jedi Starfighter: Also a good purchase, though don't want to collect more Vulture droids. Like the landing gear as it makes it easier to display without detracting from the design.

Grievous Chase: A curiosity purchase. Wanted to see how the uni-cycle worked, Boga okay if you like that kind of thing. We'll see if the General is really the bad boy he's made out to be.

Transformation Set: Also a curiosity purchase. BBQ Anakin/Vader aside, is it possibly the best LEGO design of a mini-playset to date? (Emphasis on "mini").

ARC-170 and other sets: I like the fighter and the tank but will hold off for the time being - given the opportunity/cost of these more expensive sets I'd rather save the money and complete my classic collection.

Wookie sets: Just not big on wookies. Somewhere in the category of Gungans and Ewoks - which I'm not in the habit of collecting. Maybe the movie will change my mind.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: