FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trooper Rank Un-Theory
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPrime wrote:
Quote:
what i remember is that stormtroopers are normies mixed with clones. i read in a book or comic that a StormTrooper commander would drop a standard rifle on the ground in a detention camp and the person who killed the other 5 people goin for the gun went on to elite training. this was in StarWars Tales Volume 3. the story was, Trooper.

That's the kind of crap that compells me to stay away from the Expanded Universe.

I totally agree. Talk about killing your chances of having a good, strong army. Killing off 5 of your best soldiers for one "elite" guy. Just put them all in training and fire them when they suck. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
M-1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storyline wise, I put it down to easy battlefield indentification. The Clone Wars were meant to be the worst war the galaxy had ever seen (I'm ignoring EU) so quick sight recognition of your commander and allies in a tight skirmish would be a must. The stormtroopers are less soldiers and more 'peace' keepers. I'm fine with the official answer for their lack of talent (no talent high rankers as clone sources and human recruits gradually replacing Jango's clones) as it fits perfectly with the corruption of the Empire.
DPrime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I totally agree. Talk about killing your chances of having a good, strong army. Killing off 5 of your best soldiers for one "elite" guy. Just put them all in training and fire them when they suck.

I can see where whoever wrote that story was coming from, having seen Vader pretty casually killing high ranking officers, but I like to think that's what makes Vader so "special".

I actually like to think of the Imperial forces as very professional, for the most part. None of them seemed particularly cruel, now that I think of it... just think of Veers or Piett. Just loyal officers doing their duty, as were most of the stormtroopers.

Killing your best troops in order to have "the best" is ridiculous, and stupid. It's the sort of thing you might expect Gammorrean Guards to do, maybe, but not a professional army.
Repoort
Man of Many Reds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reminds me though of the Crimson Empire comic series where Vader and Palpatine choose from five or six elite Royal Guards and have them duel to the death. But I think that's more of an underground, Sith type of thing.
MandalorianCrush

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well actually Vader can be nice. in the comic Resurrection, Vader gets a bit upset because 2 of his stormtroopers are killed through the force (choked). usually he just uses them at his disposal. this time he shouts, "why are you doing this?". so actually he isnt that cruel as he looks. mabee a little messed up in the head, but not evil like """SPOILERS""".

KREIA in KOTOR 2
AZTrooper0013
Grumpy Stormie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, you knew I'd chime in eventually.....

Yes, the OT Sandtrooper Pauldrons denote rank.

As for the different color of the various clones in Ep3?
The colors no longer denote rank, they denote Unit affiliation. Whe you have an army of clones, it's going to be tough to tell them apart. All the commanders look alike, right? So you give each military UNIT a distictive color scheme for their gear. White is hardly camoflague for any enviroment other than snow, so painting the gear with bright colors isn't going to hurt anything anyhow.

Red are one unit.
Blue are another.
Yellow still another.
Etc etc etc etc....

This comes from the new visual dictionary, by the way.

"One man's Rebel is another man's Terrorist... It all depends on your Point of View"
sith4ever99

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going back to what someone said about Jango's clones not surviving. Actually it is quite possible. Boba was a clone remember. Sure you can argue that he was not excellerated like the soldiers, but who knows. Did GL ever tell us that the growth excelleration lasts forever? Also, in one resent book, in the very end, it tells of a clone sitting in the palace in Imperial City as a "living proof" of the Clone Wars (well kinda)

Just my $.02
Repoort
Man of Many Reds

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think like most things, not every clone was exactly the same. They all had different likes and dislikes and I'm sure some of them aged faster than the rest. And perhaps once Jango died the Kaminoans gave up on the current clones they were working on so maybe there were more that were Boba's age that grew up at a slightly normal rate.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Republic wrote:
For 30 years, I had assumed that the Y-wing was the new, state of the art space fighter during the time of Obi-wan and Anakin. I had really hoped to see the clones cruising around in brand spanking new y-wings in all their glory during the wars.

Actually, that might've been pretty cool. Maybe the Y-Wing is just kickin' patootie in some out of the way place...soon to be very used and on sale to a budding Rebellion fleet.

As for the troopers, the Episode III Visual Dictionary points out that alot of the accessories the clones adopt (e.g. battle skirts) have to do with being in a particular theater of operations for so long during the Clone Wars. Blending with the locals a bit, so to speak. The armor markings are sort of clanish. Troopers from a particular theater of operations have stuck together in many battles and show off their membership to a particular unit with colorful markings. Chances are that the Emporer thought this was a little too much individual expression for his taste and did away with it over time...perhaps even when the new recruits came in to replace the veterans who were dealing with accelerated old age retirement.
bruceywan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
Old Republic wrote:
For 30 years, I had assumed that the Y-wing was the new, state of the art space fighter during the time of Obi-wan and Anakin. I had really hoped to see the clones cruising around in brand spanking new y-wings in all their glory during the wars.

Actually, that might've been pretty cool. Maybe the Y-Wing is just kickin' patootie in some out of the way place...soon to be very used and on sale to a budding Rebellion fleet.

Wouldn't it have been absorbed into the Imperial arsenal, then? I doubt Palpatine would put old ships on sale, for the express purpose of keeping them out of the hands of possible dissenters. I think it works that they're not in the movie, because it's only at the end of the movie that there's technically no military opposition to the Empire (at first), but when it starts to surface more, and the new "separatists" (members of the rebellion) start to negotiate contracts with ship-makers, assuming within a few years, they'll get contracts on new models, which the Y-Wing will be one of. Old Man Palpatine probably wouldn't be too happy with Koensayr (the maker of the Y-Wing; I had to look it up, I'm not that huge of a nerd Wink) if they were selling their product to his Empire and his Empire's oppsition. It would have been neat to see it, but I'm not crying over its absence, or that of the Headhunter, which was rumored to be in Revenge of the Sith.
-Bruce

LEGO @ Bruce's Homepage - http://bruce.kus-numa.net/lego/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceywan wrote:

Wouldn't it have been absorbed into the Imperial arsenal, then? I doubt Palpatine would put old ships on sale, for the express purpose of keeping them out of the hands of possible dissenters. I think it works that they're not in the movie, because it's only at the end of the movie that there's technically no military opposition to the Empire (at first), but when it starts to surface more, and the new "separatists" (members of the rebellion) start to negotiate contracts with ship-makers, assuming within a few years, they'll get contracts on new models, which the Y-Wing will be one of. Old Man Palpatine probably wouldn't be too happy with Koensayr (the maker of the Y-Wing; I had to look it up, I'm not that huge of a nerd Wink) if they were selling their product to his Empire and his Empire's oppsition. It would have been neat to see it, but I'm not crying over its absence, or that of the Headhunter, which was rumored to be in Revenge of the Sith.
-Bruce

LEGO @ Bruce's Homepage - http://bruce.kus-numa.net/lego/

Well, we're getting off topic, but Incom, the maker of the X-Wing, apparently, broke off from the company that made the ARC-170. When the Rebellion kicked off, the company defected and made ships for the Alliance. Did it tick off the Emperor? I'm sure. But I suppose he had no more control over individual weapons manufacturers than he did the Alliance itself.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: